The Children’s Cottage Society employs over 150 staff who are dedicated to fulfilling the agency’s vision of Safe Children in Healthy Families. We are passionate about making positive changes in the lives of families and their children in our community.
RESPITE CARE WORKER (Part-Time)
Competition #: P/T RCW - 08/09/2018
The Children’s Cottage Society is a charitable agency established in Calgary in 1986. The Society’s mission is “Preventing harm and neglect to all children and building strong families through support services, respite programs, and crisis nurseries”. Our vision is to achieve “Safe Children in Healthy Families”.
This is a Part-Time, Monday to Friday 15-20 hours per week, allowing for some flexibility with days worked and hours worked. This position does require working the occasional evening. There will be opportunities to pick up more hours from time to time, if interested.
- Work with families and volunteers as assigned to provide respite care.
- Plan and implement developmentally appropriate activities.
- Interact with infants and engage them in activities that support optimal development.
- Assess amount of respite required.
- Care for and interact with infants in a positive, gentle and sensitive manner.
- Provide information about and demonstrate good infant care and positive parenting practices.
- Help families connect with community resources as needed.
- Conduct developmental assessments using Ages and Stages Developmental screenings.
- Complete paperwork as required and enter into client database (Efforts to Outcomes). Keep filing up-to-date.
- Complete Core Respite training.
- Consult with Community Respite Supervisor on a regular basis.
- Assist with other position-related tasks as directed by the Community Respite Supervisor, Home Visitation Programs Senior Manager, Director of Programs and/or Executive Director.
- A minimum of 2 years of infant care experience.
- Some post-secondary training in Early Childhood Development would be an asset.
- An understanding of the developmental needs of infants.
- Be responsible, dependable and have a non-judgmental attitude.
- Able to work independently in the community.
- An awareness of resources available in the community.
- Second language an asset.
- Clear oral and written communication skills.
- Competence with technology including email, cell phones and navigating programs.
- Standard First Aid and Infant CPR (CPR Level B).
- Pass a Police Security Clearance and Child Intervention Record Check.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and insurance.
Application Deadline: Until successful candidate is recruited. We appreciate the interest of all applicants however will only contact those invited for an interview. Please send a cover letter and resume by email quoting competition Competition #: P/T RCW - 08/09/2018 to email@example.com
RELIEF KEY WORKER (Family Support) for Brenda's House
Competition #: BH - 07/23/2018
The Children's Cottage Society of Calgary provides crisis nursery, community respite, and family support programs to more than 3,500 children each year. Brenda’s House is a residential program for homeless families that enables transition to housing using a “housing first” model of service. Brenda’s House has been in operation since February 2009, and provides shelter and support services to 14 families at a time. We are looking for an experienced professional with an empathic, non-judgmental view toward families with multiple needs. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting families while in residence and planning with families to assist them in their efforts toward becoming rehoused in the community as quickly as possible.
The Relief Key Worker (Family Support) position participates in a rotating schedule of morning, afternoon and evening shifts.
- Screen potential client families and support their transition into the shelter.
- Complete intakes and develop a service plan with families that will focus on their transition back into housing in the community.
- Interact with families in residence on a daily basis:
- Provide non-judgmental, family centered and strength based service;
- Coordinate staff team work with family members and focus on progress and action required to support transition plan;
- Provide families with assistance in housing search and progress towards goals
- Support families with their daily routine in shelter, and monitor the daily physical and emotional wellbeing of the family members;
- Maintain client files and HMIS data system entries;
- Act as a role model showing positive interaction and problem solving;
- Be present at all times in the day use areas to ensure that harmony is maintained between families, adults, and children.
- Ensure a healthy environment for children:
- Promote positive social interactions and help ensure child safety;
- Coordinate referrals to child care/respite;
- Be present at all times in the day use areas to ensure that children are receiving appropriate parental supervision and care;
- Support and coach parents in the care of their children while at Brenda’s House;
- Provide support and activities when needed outside of scheduled child care hours.
- Assist in the daily shelter routines to ensure a safe, clean and healthy shelter environment
- Collaborate with Brenda’s House Case Managers and Housing Locator in the development and updating of service plans, transition to housing strategies, and housing funding methods.
- Work collaboratively partnering agencies and community resources, and provide referrals as needed to community services.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with families who have complex needs.
- Degree in human services (preferred), or diploma with related experience.
- Experience working in a residential setting.
- Experience working with homeless families is an asset.
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR level B.
- Current Police Security and Child Intervention Record checks with satisfactory results.
- Able to work day and evening shifts, and to flex hours from time to time.
Application Deadline: Until successful candidate is recruited. We appreciate the interest of all applicants however will only contact those invited for an interview. Please send a cover letter and resume by email quoting competition Competition #: BH - 07/23/2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
RELIEF COOK: Brenda's House
Competition #: BHRLFCK - 07/16/2018
Would you like to make a difference in the lives of some of Calgary’s children and families? We have an immediate opportunity for a Creative Cook at Brenda’s House! Brenda’s House serves up to 14 children and families in a beautiful manor style facility with a modern kitchen and dining area in the Killarney Neighborhood in South West Calgary and reports to the Food Services Coordinator.
This is a relief position.
We require completed high school and a diploma or degree is welcomed. As well, a valid First Aid Certificate which must be obtained within 3 months of employment and a Food Safe Certificate are required. A vehicle is required and mileage is paid.
- Prepare lunch and dinners for 45-60 residents; following Brenda’s House nutrition plan.
- Ensure sanitation and safety of kitchen.
- Be friendly and respectful to families during their stay at Brenda’s House.
- Other responsibilities as requested by Food Services Coordinator/Manager.
Application Deadline: Until successful candidate is recruited. We appreciate the interest of all applicants however will only contact those invited for an interview. Please send a cover letter and resume quoting competition #BHRLFCK - 07/16/2018 to email@example.com
The Children’s Cottage Society believes that providing students with hands-on experience to support their in class learning is important. Students are given the opportunity for placement in the following programs:
We offer a variety of opportunities to students who are interested in developing their expertise and skills, and in being a part of making a positive change in the lives of families and their children in our community. Please send us your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you as soon as a practicum opportunity becomes available.