In 2009, Brenda's House opened with the generous help of the owner, the Brenda Strafford Foundation. The donated space, located in southwest Calgary, enables Children's Cottage Society to operate an emergency shelter for 14 families at a time. Families can be together in a safe, home-like environment that includes their own bathroom, access to on-site laundry facilities and three healthy meals and snacks each day.
WHO WE SERVE
- Families with children younger than age 18 who are facing homelessness
- Families with nowhere to turn for shelter
WHAT TO EXPECT
- 24-hour, non-judgmental support and assistance for families of all sizes
- Help to develop and manage a plan, and referrals to resources to help you find safe, affordable and permanent housing
- Extended stays in a safe and nurturing environment that includes a private room equipped with furniture, linens and a bathroom
- Healthy, balanced and nutritious meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- On-site child care support, which allows you time to connect with resources to find permanent housing
- Access to volunteer-driven recreation and support services including financial management and parenting courses, after-school tutors for your children and various family-friendly activities
- Assistance from support workers for information and referrals to community resources to achieve permanent housing
HomeLinks is a case management program that is available to families who are experiencing homelessness. Families must be referred through a shelter or through SORCE (403-617-4183 or 403-608-5559). Our case management program provides ongoing support to families to help them build the social networks and skills needed to remain housed. The program provides goal-setting support and resource connections. All meetings with parents will occur in person, by phone, or through Zoom.
Please note families must be referred through Coordinated Access and Assessment.
Call Brenda’s House support line at 403.242.8575 extension 0 and one of our key workers will help you find immediate shelter if you are homeless at the time of your call. If you are still housed when you call, we will direct you to resources that will help prevent you from becoming homeless.
GIFT IN KIND DONATIONS
If you're interested in donating items, please see the "Gift in Kind Donations" section on our How to Donate page. Thank you for your consideration.