Call our 24/7 Crisis Line: 403-233-CARE (2273)
The 14-bed Crisis Nursery offers a safe haven for children 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It provides:
- Up to 72 hours of child care services to children from newborn to age eight
- Care delivered by a team of child and family support workers, assisted by trained volunteers
- Confidential, supportive and non-judgmental help to families
- Assistance resolving issues so that parents can quickly reunite with their children
- Referrals to other agencies and services
- A happy and healthy experience for your child
CALL WHEN YOU ARE
- Feeling so stressed that parenting feels impossible
- Exhausted by your child’s behaviour
- Experiencing a sudden illness or hospitalization
- Homeless or have financial difficulties
- Feeling alone, sad, tired or overwhelmed
- Afraid that you may hurt your child
- Experiencing marital conflict
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU CALL
Our family support worker will ask about your specific needs and family situation, and work with you to determine which service best suits your needs. They will ask for your address, your children's names and birth dates, and information about allergies, special needs or prescribed medications.
- Transport your child to and from the nursery
- Provide your child’s Alberta Health Care number
- Supply any medication your child requires in the original container (clearly labeled)
HOW WE HELP
- Upon admission you will be given the opportunity to tour the nursery and see where your child will play, sleep and eat
- Children's Cottage Society will provide your child with clothing, formula, diapers and will try to accommodate special food requests during their stay
- If you need clothing, toys and books, please ask as we are happy to share
- Family support workers will offer community resources referrals and can come to your home to support you after your child’s stay with us
LENGTH OF STAY
Depending on your reason for needing to use the Crisis Nursery, your children can stay with us for up to 72 hours. Take it one day at a time and call us daily to ensure all is well with your children and that they are managing without you.
There is no cost to you for using any of the services provided by the Crisis Nursery.
HOW CAN I ACCESS THIS SERVICE?
Call our 24/7 Crisis Line at 403.233.CARE (2273) and one of our family support workers will guide you through the admission process.
GIFT IN KIND DONATIONS
Please note we can only accept new toys. If you're interested in donating items, please see the "Gift in Kind Donations" section on our How to Donate page. Thank you for your consideration.
In 1986, the Senator Patrick Burns Fund donated a building in Killarney – a safe place for six children at one time to be cared for during periods of family crisis. Soon after, we were turning away more children than we could help.
In 1994, the Calgary Home Builder’s Foundation built and donated a new Crisis Nursery in Bridgeland – a 14-bed, 5,000 sq. foot facility allowing us to provide families facing crisis with cost-free, short-term care for their children (newborn to eight years of age) and referrals to the resources that can help them overcome their crisis.
At Children's Cottage Society, we believe that asking for help is a sign of strength. We encourage parents to reach out when their individual circumstances are such that they are overwhelmed and have nowhere else to turn.