Call our 24/7 Crisis Line: 403-233-CARE (2273)
Gift in Kind Donation: We are accepting gift-in-kind donations for items that are listed on our wish list. Due to COVID-19, we are no longer able to accept anything but wish-list items at the Crisis Nursery. We encourage all donations to be delivered from local businesses that do delivery and/or amazon to support these businesses during these challenging times. If you are able to help with the requested items please contact Elisha Jackson at 587-998-2419 to make arrangements with the Crisis Nursery for a safe drop-off.
In 1986 the Senator Patrick Burns Fund donated a building in Killarney to create a safe place that would ensure that 6 children at one time could be cared for during times of family crisis. Soon after we were turning away more children than we could help.
In 1994 the Calgary Home Builder’s Foundation built and donated a new Crisis Nursery - a 14-bed, 5,000 sq. foot facility in the community of Bridgeland in Calgary where we are able to help families facing crisis by providing them with cost-free, short-term care for their children (newborn to eight years of age) and referrals to the resources that can help them to overcome their crisis.
At the Children's Cottage Society, we believe that asking for help is a sign of strength. We encourage parents to reach out when their individual circumstances are such that they are overwhelmed and have nowhere else to turn.
ABOUT THE CRISIS NURSERY
- The 14-bed Crisis Nursery provides 24-hour child care services for families in crisis
- The Crisis Nursery is available for children newborn to 8 years old
- Child care is provided by trained Child and Family Support Workers who are assisted by volunteers
- Referrals to agencies, Children’s Cottage Family Liaison, and other services are provided to help resolve the crisis or problem
- Confidential help in a supportive, non-judgmental atmosphere
- Our goal is to help you by providing child care support for your children and by assisting you with resolving issues quickly so that your family will be together again in just a few days
- We strive to provide a happy and healthy experience for your children
CALL WHEN YOU ARE
- Feeling so stressed that parenting feels impossible
- Exhausted by your child’s behaviors
- Experiencing a sudden illness or hospitalization
- Homeless or have financial difficulties
- Feeling alone, sad, tired or overwhelmed
- Afraid that you may hurt your child
- Experiencing marital conflict
The reasons why parents reach out to us for help are many and varied. We encourage you to call when you are experiencing a concern to see how we may help you.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU CALL
The Family Support Worker will ask you about your specific needs and family situation. The Worker will then work with you to determine which service best suits your needs. The Worker will also ask you the names of your children, the children’s birth date, address, if your child has allergies, special needs, or medications that they are prescribed.
WHAT PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Transporting your child to and from the nursery
- Providing your child’s Alberta Health Care number
- Supplying any medication your child requires in the original container clearly labeled
HOW WE HELP
- Upon admission you will be given the opportunity to tour the Nursery and see where your child will play, sleep and eat
- The Children's Cottage will provide your child with clothing for their stay with us
- The Children's Cottage will provide formula, diapers and try to accommodate any special requests you have with regards to food
- If you need clothing, toys and books please ask as we are happy to share
- The Family Support Workers will also offer you referrals to community resources and the Worker is available to come to your home to support you after your child’s stay at the Crisis Nursery
LENGTH OF STAY
Depending on your reason for needing to use the Crisis Nursery your child can stay with us for up to 72 hours. We will ask you to take it one day at a time and call us daily to ensure all is well with your children and that they are managing without you.
There is no cost to you for using any of the services provided by the Crisis Nursery.
HOW CAN I ACCESS THIS SERVICE?
Call our 24/7 Crisis Line at 403.233.CARE (2273) and one of our Family Support Workers will guide you through the admission process.