Call our 24/7 Crisis Line: 403-233-CARE (2273)
The Crisis Nursery has reduced the number of children from 14 down to 6 as per Alberta Health regulations so we can ensure all our children remain healthy. These children (newborn to age 8 years) are high risk (not appropriate to remain at home). Crisis Nursery staff are dedicated to keeping our children safe by screening all children as per AHS screening guidelines for COVID-19 to ensure that they are healthy and show no symptoms. We are so grateful for our amazing staff who continue to work to keep children safe!
Gift in Kind Donation: We are accepting gift-in-kind donations for items on our wish list. Due to COVID-19, we are no longer able to accept anything but wish-list items at the Crisis Nursery. We encourage all donations to be delivered from local businesses that do delivery and/or Amazon to support businesses during these challenging times. If you are able to help with the requested items please contact Megan - Direct: 403.283.4200 ext 229 | Cell: 403.999.6785 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements with the Crisis Nursery for a safe drop-off.
In 1986 the Senator Patrick Burns Fund donated a building in Killarney to create a safe place that would ensure that 6 children at one time could be cared for during times of family crisis. Soon after, we were turning away more children than we could help.
In 1994 the Calgary Home Builder’s Foundation built and donated a new Crisis Nursery – a 14-bed, 5,000 sq. foot facility in the community of Bridgeland in Calgary where we are able to help families facing crisis by providing them with cost-free, short-term care for their children (newborn to eight years of age) and referrals to the resources that can help them to overcome their crisis.
At Children's Cottage Society, we believe that asking for help is a sign of strength. We encourage parents to reach out when their individual circumstances are such that they are overwhelmed and have nowhere else to turn.
ABOUT THE CRISIS NURSERY
- The 14-bed Crisis Nursery provides 24-hour child care services for families in crisis
- Child care is available for children newborn to 8 years old and provided by Child and Family Support Workers who are assisted by volunteers
- Referrals to agencies, Children’s Cottage Family Liaison, and other services are provided to help resolve the crisis or problem
- We provide confidential, supportive and non-judgmental help
- We will assist you to resolve issues quickly so that your family can be together again in just a few days
- We strive to provide a happy and healthy experience for your children
CALL WHEN YOU ARE
- Feeling so stressed that parenting feels impossible
- Exhausted by your child’s behaviour
- Experiencing a sudden illness or hospitalization
- Homeless or have financial difficulties
- Feeling alone, sad, tired or overwhelmed
- Afraid that you may hurt your child
- Experiencing marital conflict
The reasons parents reach out to us for help are many and varied. We encourage you to call when you are experiencing a concern to see how we may help you.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU CALL
The Family Support Worker will ask about your specific needs and family situation, and work with you to determine which service best suits your needs. The Worker will also ask for your address, the names of your children, children’s birth dates, and if your child has allergies, special needs, or prescribed medications.
- Transporting your child to and from the nursery
- Providing your child’s Alberta Health Care number
- Supplying any medication your child requires in the original container clearly labeled
HOW WE HELP
- Upon admission you will be given the opportunity to tour the Nursery and see where your child will play, sleep and eat
- Children's Cottage Society will provide your child with clothing, formula, diapers and try to accommodate special food requests during their stay with us
- If you need clothing, toys and books please ask as we are happy to share
- Family Support Workers will also offer community resources referrals and is available to come to your home to support you after your child’s stay at the Crisis Nursery
LENGTH OF STAY
Depending on your reason for needing to use the Crisis Nursery, your child can stay with us for up to 72 hours. Take it one day at a time and call us daily to ensure all is well with your children and that they are managing without you.
There is no cost to you for using any of the services provided by the Crisis Nursery.
HOW CAN I ACCESS THIS SERVICE?
Call our 24/7 Crisis Line at 403.233.CARE (2273) and one of our Family Support Workers will guide you through the admission process.