Call our 24/7 Crisis Line: 403-233-CARE (2273)
The number of children has been reduced from 14 down to 6 as per Alberta Health regulations so we can ensure all our children remain healthy. These children are high risk (not appropriate to remain at home). Crisis Nursery staff are dedicated to all of the children's safety by screening for COVID-19 as per AHS guidelines to ensure they are healthy and show no symptoms. We are so grateful for our amazing staff who continue to work to keep children safe!
Gift-in-Kind Donations: We are accepting gift-in-kind donations for items on our wish list. Due to COVID-19, we are no longer able to accept anything but wish-list items at the Crisis Nursery. We encourage all donations to be delivered from local businesses that do delivery and/or Amazon to support businesses during these challenging times. Please note that ALL arrangements for gift-in-kind donations are made in advance through Megan to ensure someone is available to receive items as our on-site team is tending to children and families in care. Please contact Elisha - Direct: 403.283.4200 ext 221 | Cell: 587.998.2419 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to deliver your gift during business hours and she will arrange a day/time, a proper greeting and assistance at one of our locations as well as recognition for your generosity. Thank you for your consideration.
In 1986 the Senator Patrick Burns Fund donated a building in Killarney – a safe place for 6 children at one time to be cared for during periods of family crisis. Soon after, we were turning away more children than we could help.
In 1994 the Calgary Home Builder’s Foundation built and donated a new Crisis Nursery in Bridgeland – a 14-bed, 5,000 sq. foot facility allowing us to provide families facing crisis with cost-free, short-term care for their children (newborn to eight yrs of age) and referrals to the resources that can help them to overcome their crisis.
At Children's Cottage Society, we believe that asking for help is a sign of strength. We encourage parents to reach out when their individual circumstances are such that they are overwhelmed and have nowhere else to turn.
- Our 14-bed Crisis Nursery provides 24-hour child care services for families in crisis for up to 72 hours
- Child and Family Support Workers, assisted by volunteers provide child care for children (newborn to 8 yrs old)
- Your family receives confidential, supportive and non-judgmental help to resolve the crisis or problem through our staff, and referrals to agencies and other services
- We help you resolve issues quickly so your family can be together again quickly
- We strive to provide a happy and healthy experience for your children
CALL WHEN YOU ARE
- Feeling so stressed that parenting feels impossible
- Exhausted by your child’s behaviour
- Experiencing a sudden illness or hospitalization
- Homeless or have financial difficulties
- Feeling alone, sad, tired or overwhelmed
- Afraid that you may hurt your child
- Experiencing marital conflict
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU CALL
Our Family Support Worker will ask about your specific needs and family situation, and work with you to determine which service best suits your needs. They will gather information: your address, your children's names, children’s birth dates, and if your child has allergies, special needs, or prescribed medications.
- Transport your child to and from the nursery
- Provide your child’s Alberta Health Care number
- Supply any medication your child requires in the original container (clearly labeled)
HOW WE HELP
- Upon admission you will be given the opportunity to tour the Nursery and see where your child will play, sleep and eat
- Children's Cottage Society will provide your child with clothing, formula, diapers and try to accommodate special food requests during their stay
- If you need clothing, toys and books, please ask as we are happy to share
- Family Support Workers will offer community resources referrals and can come to your home to support you after your child’s stay with us
LENGTH OF STAY
Depending on your reason for needing to use the Crisis Nursery, your child can stay with us for up to 72 hours. Take it one day at a time and call us daily to ensure all is well with your children and that they are managing without you.
There is no cost to you for using any of the services provided by the Crisis Nursery.
HOW CAN I ACCESS THIS SERVICE?
Call our 24/7 Crisis Line at 403.233.CARE (2273) and one of our Family Support Workers will guide you through the admission process.